Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wednesday Evening

Thanks for all the prayers. Steve slept well last night, and felt better all day. We had both the PET scan and the MRI today. Unfortunately, they lasted longer than anticipated, and we weren't able to start on the amino acid/vitamin IV, yet.

Tomorrow, we meet with the Doctors at 9am to get the results of today's scans. The plan is to also start the chemo tomorrow, as well as the vitamin IV. We're also hoping to have results of the genetic testing tomorrow or Friday.

Please continue to pray with us that the liver is not involved. We'll find that out in the morning. Also, if the genetic testing shows a certain abnormality, the genetic therapies they specialize in will be especially hopeful.

(By the way, I messed up one of the Doctor's names yesterday. It's Alam (accent on "am"), not Amen.)

Something that we feel like the Lord is teaching us now is to fully be in each moment. Where do any of us get the idea that we definitely have tomorrow? We tend to spend so much time planning for tomorrow that we don't live today. Our days are all numbered. What are we doing with the minutes that we're living right now? Steve was feeling relatively good this afternoon, so we just laughed and talked, enjoying what we have now.

I have been very guilty much of my life of worrying about the tomorrows - I want a plan. It's so clear that I'm not in control anyway. Plan? The only plan that means anything is God's. And, the good news is - He's trustworthy and good. We'll just rest in that, and live fully in the now.

One of my very favorite passages is Matthew 6. We're living verses 25-34 with renewed peace.

"Therefore I tell you , do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own."

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will be praying that the liver is not involved and the treatments will relieve Steve's Pain. Hope you both get a good night's sleep. We Love You, Aunt Doris

Allison said...

Thank you for that reminder Sheri, we all needed to hear that, I'm sure. We are praying for comfort and that the liver is not involved, and for you to continue to cherish each minute!

SNB's said...

I'm really glad y'all had a better day and enjoyed each other. That is wonderful to hear. One of the things I always loved about Steve was how spontaneous he is. If there's one thing I can say about him is that he always knew how to enjoy life! I was always more like you Sheri - had to have a plan. I had to set the goals and go for them. Steve always interrupted me with FUN! He has always been great for comic relief to everyone I know. Even to see him last Saturday, how good his attitude is through all of this - making jokes about it. I pray that the two of you have many, many more good days!
Your Mom asked me to post some pics yesterday, so I put a few out there for ya. Love ya...
Toby

Anonymous said...

I am praying that the liver is not involved!! Praise God for your good nights rest and peaceful day!!
We love you guys!
Shelli,Terry and The Kids

Tricia said...

Steve & Sheri,
Our prayers continue for you. We are checking updates multiple times throughout the day and we are praying accordingly.

the Steele family

Gloria de la Peña said...

WE still praying for you both almost all the time.
gloria
The same verses are my favorites

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve,

We just got back from Dallas. We got to see Bob and Wanda...Bob told us that he and Phil went to see you. Elyssa and I continue to pray for you every day and an extra prayer at church on sundays. Keep the fight goin! We love ya!

Shane and Elyssa

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful post Sheri. You're so right that we all waste too much time by not enjoying what we have right now.
I'm so glad you had a good day, and we'll be praying for another today.

Nathan Green

Anonymous said...

We share in your journey toward healing and in your laughter/joy in life. You continue to inspire and challenge us to trust Him more.

Continuing in prayer,
Bettye

Anonymous said...

Praying now that the liver is not involved and for peace and comfort for you both.

Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh, is anything too difficult for me? Jer. 32:27

Anonymous said...

You can follow your Matthew 6:25-34with the Lamentations 3:22-23 promise "Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness".

May you rest in the compassions He has given you for today my friends.

Standing in the gap.
Rick and Dawn

Anonymous said...

Steve:

I just received a note from George Purefoy, City Mgr. of Frisco, a few days ago about your situation. I plugged into your blog and I wanted you to know that last night at the Deacon Mtg. at First Baptist Church, Celina, I shared some of the blog, we prayed for you and we added you to our prayer list. Steve, I was always appreciative and impressed that you visited my mother in the hospital when she had cancer and I know she really thought you were special. Also, when I mentioned this to Kathy, she mentioned that Sheri had helped her in the kitchen at the Bolin Family Reunion and how sweet she thought she was. We will be praying for you.

Van Nichols

Anonymous said...

Steve, I've been doing some research and I've found the following information...

http://www.cancer.ucla.edu/Index.aspx?page=78

You can make an appointment with a doctor via Susana, this is her number (the one on the website is no longer valid): 310-5862097.
I've also read about a drug called Glivec (imatinib), which is specially for GI cancer, you probably know, but jic. You, Sheri & the kids are in our minds, hearts & specially our prayers!

-Carlos D. Parra.

Martin Jones said...

Steve,
I have just been passed your details. I have immediately prayed for you and your family. Thank you for your courage and testimony. I will promise to continue to uphold you before our Lord.
Martin Jones
(Rockwall)