Thursday, August 7, 2008

Praise! (and faith crisis?)

Praise God! The liver is not involved, nor is the brain. There is some fluid around the lungs, but it's not clear exactly what that means, yet. The Doctors said they'd just have to monitor that. Thank you all for praying. We were so pleased with this report.

Today, they were able to start Steve on the amino acid/vitamin IV. Hopefully, that will restore some of his strength. And, we begin the chemo today. It's a low dosage, oral version that is not supposed to have many side effects.

Tomorrow, we'll meet with a nutritionist, see the doctor again, get another vitamin IV, and continue with the chemo and SP therapies. We still don't know much about the genetic tests. There may be more therapies they can start once those results are in.

Last night, I confidently wrote about trusting God for today, and living in the now. And, this morning we had such wonderful news. Then... my faith seemed to crash. The financial office at the clinic called me in and told me they need yet another large sum to start the chemo... AND, there may be another large sum due once they identify any genetic therapies we'll start (but there's no way to know how much yet). AND, these initial funds are just to get started. We'll have to come up with who-knows-what on a monthly basis to continue.

Isn't it absurd that I can trust God with Steve's life, yet doubt His financial provision? Why am I so full of faith one day, and so weak the next? As if money was an obstacle to God. As if He hasn't provided EVERYTHING we've ever needed. As if our bank-balance was some big shock to God. As if God was blind-sided by this cancer.

Pray for me. Steve's faith is strong. It's just me... and just now.

7 comments:

Mike said...

Sheri -
At times our fears may loom so large
We long for proof that God is near;
It's then our Father says to us,
"Have faith, My child, and do not fear."

Faith knows that God is working behind the scenes.

I know these are just words Sheri and you have had your ups and downs. No matter how frightening the situation, God’s people always has more on their side than the enemy has on his. We love you and continually for what seems to be every second of the day, praying, praying, praying.

Mike K.

Anonymous said...

Sheri, I have been told for every high there is a low. We are praying for you and know you feel the weight of the world on your shoulders. It is amazing what a lot of people doing a little can do financially. We will pray for you to not be overwhelmed with the responsibility of trying to pay for Steve's treatments. Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" We will Pray for you to know that God will see you though this and give you peace of mind. Just know you are not alone. We Love You, Aunt Doris

Anonymous said...

Steve/Sheri-

We serve an Aweswome GOD!! Amen!! All of our prayers that you're liver not be affected have been answered. When we truly trust God and believe that He's in control, we can rest. There's a peace in our hearts and minds. Deep down on the inside, we know that everything is going to be alright.

"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure....."

Hebrews 6:19 NIV

Tim and Amy Pace

Anonymous said...

Steve and Sheri,
As I read your post I was reminded of the story in Joshua 4 about the "Memorial Stones" where God told Joshua to choose 12 men to take up 12 stones from the Jordan as a memorial to the people of Israel. Joshua told the Israelites when your descendants ask "what do these stones mean" they are to tell of what God had done for them in the past so that "all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the Lord is powerful and so that you might always fear the Lord your God" (v24). I could not find Rick Burges email that listed all the answered prayers but I will try to remember as many as I can.

Stone 1: He provided a physician through your ABF.
Stone 2: He provided highly expensive medication
Stone 3:He provided friends to help take care of the home and bring meals
Stone 4: He provided an alternative treatment when conventional medicine gave no hope
Stone 5: He provided friends to take care of the pets.
Stone 6: He provided the lump sum of a down payment.
Stone 7: He provided a friend to follow you to Houston.
Stone 8: He provided wise nurse counsel to increase the IV drip.
Stone 9: He provided a room for your stay.
Stone 10: He provided gas cards.
Stone 11: He protected Steve's liver and gave you a clear MRI.
Stone 12: He provided the perfect sacrifice for your salvation.

It is easy to lose sight when you are the one in the middle, that is why support is so valuable. We continue to pray that you will continue to see and know that the hand of the Lord is powerful

Sorry this is so long.
Standing in the gap,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

This Mercy Me song has always touched me spiritually and I can't can't help but think of you and your plight when I hear Bart say.......


"Bring The Rain"

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain
So I pray

Holy, holy, holy
Is the Lord God Almighty

Amy Pace

Anonymous said...

Sheri and Steve,
Thank you, thank you for your openness and honesty as you deal with pain, fear and uncertainty. Thank you for not "wasting your cancer" and for letting us walk with you and see first hand the work of God as you live the abiding life. We love you guys,
Betsy

Gloria de la Peña said...

Sheri,all my family is praying for God`s provide ALL you need( faith,strainght,peace,confort ,confident and we know that He is an Almight God,and He will do it at His perfect time,just wait and rest in Him.
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece.
LOve you both
Los Parra