Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday morning - leaving for Houston

As I just sat to write prior to our departure, I asked Steve how much of yesterday he wanted me to share. He said, "Go ahead and share it all. We want our friends and family to know everything so they know how to pray."

Our day started early, with Steve not feeling well at all. He was having lower back pains on one side, and still not urinating. A friend who's a nurse came by, and after talking with her and confirming with our doctor, we turned up the fluid level in the IV. The kidney pains can come from prolonged dehydration. After a while, it did help with that pain.

We had a steady stream of visitors from early yesterday until late last night. Each one was an encouragement. I could tell that Steve was tense on and off, though. But, we never really had a chance to talk until we got into bed after midnight.

When we did, the flood of tears came for us both. We wondered what our lives would be like the next time we went to bed in this house. We wondered if this clinic is going to be able to help us. So many questions and fears. What if it's the Lord's will to take Steve Home? I asked him what scared him most about dying. He's very much, sincerely, at peace about his eternal home. All his concerns were for me and the kids. And for losing the dreams of things we wanted to do together in this life.

So, we prayed, and cried to the Lord. Told Him how much we want to grow old together and minister together and see grandchildren together. Yet, we know that His ways are best, even if painful. I guess it wouldn't be faith if it all made sense to us. And He gave us rest.

We're leaving in a while. A dear friend who's an RN will travel with us for medical and moral support. Our consultation at the clinic is at noon tomorrow. We're counting on your prayers.

and we continue to rest in Him...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will be praying for Steve to be able to sleep on the way to Houston and the trip will not be too tiring for him. We are so blessed by your open honesty of the trials you are going through. This will help us to be more prepared to help someone else with their cancer battles in the future. You are an inspiration to everyone who is lucky enough to know you. God Bless you and Steve while you are in Houston. I am counting on our miracle. We love you, Aunt Doris, Uncle Roy & Granny

Anonymous said...

Prayer of Hudson Taylor, China Inland Missions
" Lord Jesus , make Thyself to me
A living, bright reality;
More present to faith's vision keen
Than any outward object seen;
More dear, more intimately high
Than even the sweetest earthly tie."
Praying that you will tangibly feel the presence of the Lord. We love you and we trust HIm.

Unknown said...

Dear Steve & Sheri,

Thank you for your honesty and openness. You don't realize it, but you are such an encouragement to me in the midst of your trials. I am continuing to pray for you, especially for your peace and healing. May God richly bless you with His guidance and presence on this journey.
Love,
Kim Jones

Amber said...

I cry as I read your post. This is a trying time for you all as a family. Remember, God is good all the time. Let me know if you need me to take care of anything while you are gone. I continue to pray for your healing.

Amber

Allison said...

With tears streaming down my face I am begging God to perform a miracle. There is hardly a minute when you are not on our minds and our prayers are constantly being sent up in petition for you. When we should be encouraging you, you are a constant encouragement to us with your honesty and true faith in our God. May everyone else see God's face in you as we have! We love you!

Kevin and Allison

Anonymous said...

I can`t wait to see what Our Lord it`s going to do in Houston.
It was a great blessing to be with you this weekend. Me and my family are praying for your healing Steve!
We love you so much you both
gloria