Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thursday night, July 24

Steve had a fairly good day today. We got some helpful advise about keeping that pain med on schedule whether he thinks he needs it or not. That seems to be working better for him.

Some friends who have come by comment about how good he looks. When the pain is under control, he does look pretty good. Thinner, weaker, but still his cheerful, smiling self. Of course, they haven't seen him without the meds. That's a different story.

Home-care delivered the wheelchair today. Andy's having fun with that. We're a little concerned about our toes being run over as he does wheelies in the living room. He is such a joy to have around.

I realized this morning that the shock is starting to wear off. And, I realized that this is our new life. Living with and fighting cancer. It's not going away until the Lord heals him. Medicine charts, visiting nurses, lots of veggies, and the myriad of other things.

Last Monday, our life was going a certain direction. And, in a matter of a few tests, and a few conversations with doctors, our life has changed forever. We turned a corner we weren't anticipating. It wasn't a surprise to God, though.

There is such a peace in knowing that this world is not our home. Our treasures are in heaven. Because the control we think we have over our lives is just an illusion. Nothing brings more peace than knowing the God Who is in control. And knowing that He is good. And knowing that His ways, which are higher than ours, are best.

Please keep praying that we will be faithful to this calling, even as the weeks will turn into months. As Rick said on the phone this morning, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

"...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

11 comments:

Tania Parra said...

Hey! It`s good to know that Andy is giving you joy during this trial. I love to read your daily comments, first to know about Steve, and second to "feed" my spirit. It`s such a blessing to hear God`s voice through you guys. You are truly an inspiration to all of us that know you. Through God everything is possible!!
We love you!!

Anonymous said...

And this "Marathon" will NOT be run alone. There are so many people reading, receiving, and being impacted by the blessings of this journey. Steve, we Love you and the strength God is giving you and Your family. Healing and God's will is our Constant Prayer! The Pace Family

Anonymous said...

It amazes me how open and dedicated to this blog you are. You will be and are such a inspiration to me and to so many, there will be many reading this for weeks, months and will see your strength and how heavily you depend on God! This is where God is using you to help others, it may not be what you want to be doing but I know that this is in His perfect will and we many times dont like it... but in the end, as you said, this place is not our kingdom... our treasures are in Heaven and we are here to serve, model, lead and show God in all we do. I pray for Steve every moment. With what I am going through, this is so heavy on me and my heart right now... I pray, fast, cry, plead for Steve and your family!

Your friend in Christ.
Ara Hunt

Rhonda Frantz said...

Thanks for the wheat grass :) Looking forward to looking at the khouse site. We watched "The Mummy" tonight and I recognized the word YOLLA !! Let's go in Arabic!!! Pretty cool huh? Would love to see your Egypt pictures. August 10th we have our Egypt party at Pier 419 (not sure what time yet. Maybe ya'll could come and see whatever Brad puts together. Possible DVD? Our supports, family and friends are welcome.

Rhonda Frantz said...

supporters

Gloria de la Peña said...

Hi friends! I am still praying for you,hoping everyday you are doing better.I would like to be there to talk to you and make plans for the next mission trip to Egypt.
I love you so much!
gloria
To the only wise God our Saviour,be glory and majesty,dominion and power,both now and ever.Amen

elizabeth said...

"We are hard pressed on every side but not crushed; perplexed but not in despair, persecuted but not abandoned; struck down but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body." [2 Corinthians 4: 8-9]

Praying for healing.

Anonymous said...

I just heard the news. I can't begin to imagine what you guys are going through. I pray the Lord keeps your family strong until the time comes when Steve is healed. I will be praying for your family. Stay strong, Steve.

Regards,
Jeff Cox

Darren said...

It is amazing at how God will grow all of you spiritually through this trial. I can especially see God use this as an opportunity to build on to the fine young man that is Andy.

Romans 5:1-5 - Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus the Messiah. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace by which we have been established, and we boast because of our hope in God's glory. Not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, endurance produces character, and character produces hope. Now this hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

Anonymous said...

Our prayers for Steve just keep & will keep on going to our Lord, praying that He heals him. He is such a great leader and servant of God, my admiration and love in Christ is for him, you Sheri & your kids!

-Carlos D. Parra.

Anonymous said...

I want you to know that you are feeding my soul as I have never felt with your love and trust in God. A year ago this week, I lost my soulmate of 10 years..... I have never felt closer to our Father than I do today, because of your words. I am praying for Steve's health, peace, calm.
love,
marcy