Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday, July 19

Thanks for tuning in to our new blog. Thought this might be easier than all the emails. We'll try to update it regularly.

For those who have just heard our news, I'll start at the very beginning. So, this one will be long. For the past 4 months or so, Steve's been having a lot of stomach pains. He'd get full quickly when eating, and was losing weight (without trying). The pains were worse at night, and he wasn't able to sleep much.

Let me go back just a little further. When Steve was 10, he got ulcerative colitis, and he suffered with that until he was 30. He was encouraged by the Doctors to get his colon removed, but didn't want to do that. He was single at the time, and just couldn't imagine living with an illiostomy. At the age of 30, he felt that the Lord was telling him that He had work for him to do, but he couldn't do it being sick all the time. So, in obedience, he had the surgery. Because of the "pre-existing condition", we've been unable to get health insurance for him.

Fast forward again to now. In late June, the pains were bad enough to go to a clinic, which prescribed antacids for probable acid reflux. No relief from the pain, in fact it got worse. He couldn't eat at all, and was getting no sleep. Saturday morning, July 5 at about 4:30 am, I took him to Parkland ER. (Some interesting people-watching stories there. But I digress...) Saturday night they sent us home, and that night he began vomiting. We went back to Parkland ER early Sunday morning, and were admitted about 24 hours later (on our wedding anniversary). There we stayed until Tuesday night, and again, the diagnosis was acid reflux.

The pains continued to get worse. By this time he'd lost over 40 pounds. Thursday the 10th, he decided to contact a Dr. from our church. Just as he was sending an email to Dr. Rodriguez, Rick Burge (a pastor from our church) called and said he had contacted Dr. Rodriguez to see if he could see Steve soon. God seemed to be speaking to them both at the same time. Dr. Rodriguez graciously saw Steve that same day. After that exam, he scheduled an endoscope for the following Tuesday, July 15.

Steve had a pretty miserable weekend (understatement), and just hung in there until Tuesday. By this time, he'd been without eating for about 2 weeks, and was very weak. The endoscopy showed 3 significant ulcers as well as a growth on his lower esophagus. They biopsied all four areas, and sent us to Baylor for admittance, and for a CT scan.

Wednesday, July 16. Dr. Rodriguez had to give us the news that the biopsy showed malignancy, and the CT scan showed that it was also in his lymph system and possibly spine. A total shock. He called an oncologist to meet with us the following day.

Thursday was a day of waiting for the oncologist to come, and letting the news sink in. He came in the early evening, confirmed what Dr. Rodriguez had said, and told us we'd be having a bone scan the next day.

Friday - bone scan around noon. Just a few hours later, the oncologist came with the results. The cancer has metastasized to the spine, pelvis, ribs and femurs. Technically speaking, what Steve has is in-operable, Stage 4 cancer. He said we could start chemo right away, but admitted that it would only extend our time by a few months. It wouldn't cure it. We've decided against that. We're researching alternative treatments.

Steve's comment at this point was, "Wow, being that it's incurable, God's going to get all the more glory through this."

I think that brings us up to today. Our precious friends at church are having a prayer meeting for Steve at 5:00 today. If I wasn't so sleepy, I'd tell you about all the incredible things they've done... but it's too many to even say. More on that in another day's post.

We are surrounded by a loving group of family and friends. Right now, we feel like we could ask for anything, and someone would swim through shark-infested waters to get it for us. This is the way the Body of Christ is supposed to function. We are the blessed recipients of all this love. Jesus said, "They will know you are my disciples if you love one another." May He bless each and every one of you for being obedient to that.

This is the letter Steve wrote to be read at the prayer meeting this afternoon:

The strongest desire that Sheri and I have had for quite a while, is for not only our lives, but the lives of the entire Church be totally God-centered. We know that a life that is totally centered on God is one that will be used to bring Him glory, and there is no greater purpose in life than to bring God glory.

We have been given this opportunity to help us calibrate our lives. And from the outpouring of love and generosity from our brothers and sisters in Christ, it appears that He is not just limiting this growth to us. We have a tremendous desire for every member of the Body to have a totally God-centered life and a vision of what great things God can do with a church that is full of God-centered people.

We are humbled that you are gathering to pray for us, just as we have been humbled with all the love, prayers and financial help we’ve received. Jesus said that “They will know you are My disciples if you love one another.” The Body of Christ is Alive and Well, and pouring that God-given love on us. Give Him all the glory for that.

Rest assured that our faith is strong, by His grace. And we know that God’s mighty hand is carrying us along this journey. Please pray that we will remain faithful throughout this trial. We have a battle ahead. The Word is sustaining us.

“Thank you” is inadequate. Forgive us for not replying to all the emails and messages, but we are reading them all, and are encouraged by them. We will be joining you in prayer and worship from where we are. May His perfect will be done.



“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
II Corinthians 4: 16-18

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve and Sheri,
The day that Steve texted me and asked for prayer for Sheri, the verse you have posted kept running through my mind. "Fix your eyes on what is unseen" and that was my prayer for Sheri. It is still the same today, for you both. To have people literally "around the world" praying for you is an unbelievable blessing and even though you are not far away, we are all still "holding the rope". We love you, Betsy

Amber said...

We love you and we thank the Lord for healing.

Anonymous said...

Steve & Sheri: We love you guys and want you to know we're also "holding the rope" over here. God bless you, John & Jennifer (China)

GMoreau said...

Steve,

I have very few words for you Brother. The words from our God are most important now. You are in a position especially close to God now. "But those who suffer he delivers in their suffering; he speaks to them in their affliction." Job 36:14-16

Just trust in our God, for He is in control. "See now that I, I am He, and there is no god besides Me; it is I who put to death and give life. I have wounded and it is I who heal, and there is no one who can deliver from My hand."
Deuteronomy 32:39

God bless you and your precious family. We will pray, for that is what we must do.

Your Brother in Christ, Gary

Anonymous said...

steve,brian tell me about your bad cancer and i just only want to tell you that all my family here in philippines is also pray for you and also asking God will improve your health "mahalkita'jhoy

Anonymous said...

Steve, we love you man. You have played a huge role in my life as one of my very best friends since the choir tour back at FBC in '84.
You have been as solid as a rock, and always have been there for me when I needed support. I think I was there at the hospital every night when the colon went, and you know I'd be there again if you need me. Please do not hesitate to call us (JD, Chad, and Toby) if you need anything; We're on standby... We've got prayers going from Richardson to Mexico. Thank you for always being such an excellent friend... Love Toby

Rimshot said...

Yo, bud; sorry for waking you up today. -jd

Anonymous said...

... the greatest of these is love
... love casts out all fear
... God loves you so much that He that He gave His only begotten Son.
... and we love you alot!!!!!
Virginia <><

Anonymous said...

Steve,

I have been going through all sorts of memories about you today. You were my best friend at Richland. You made me laugh when I went to the hospital & when I arrived in my room with flowers already waiting. God has been so faithful and you have been faithful my friend, as well.You are correct when you say the Lord will receive all the glory! I love you my friend and when I figure out how you sent me a facebook video I'm going to send one to you!!! I know my mom would want to wrap her her arms around you, too. I'll sing my praise and my prayers to God for you & for Sheri. Please call if you need anything!!

Priscilla

Anonymous said...

PS....

I could say sooooo much more but I'll save it for my video! :0) LOL!
Love ya friend!
P

Anonymous said...

Steve, You have been the "Light" that I have known at the KW Rockwall office. You EXUDE the Faith and Love of Christ. I want You to be Proud of that Faith, God would Not want it Any other way! I am SO Blessed to have You in my life! My family and I pray for God's Perfect will to be done in the Life of You and Your Family!

Allison said...

We cannot say enough good things about the whole Warren family. What a thrill it was to serve with you in Mexico, we have learned so much from you. Kevin would say he has learned from Steve what not to do on the side of the road in the wind...but that story doesn't need repeating! We love you and we are lifting you up in prayer.

Anonymous said...

Steve & Sheri,
The two of you are such a treasure to Christian and me. We loved serving in Mexico with you and growing in a wonderful friendship. You are an amazing example of a Christ-centered marriage and home. I have learned so much from the two of you. As always, your words (on the blog) uplifted us. Please know we are continuing to pray and we love you dearly. In Christ, Lori & Christian

Rimshot said...

Good mornin' Stevus
-just checkin' in--
are you home yet?
just a reminder to youse and yor woman to let me know what ya need.
Does your lawn need mowed (like mine)? Has your milk gone bad? Do you need the Charmin with the aloe and vitamin E added? I'll check in later. peace, -jd (drummer for Christ)

Lisa said...

Steve & Sheri,
Don't know you, but Amber is my new distant friend thru our adoption journey ... just prayed for you and your family, healing in His name to glorify His desire.

Thinking of you ... blessings all around. Thank you for loving our Lord and being an inspiration.

Most of it's unseen, yes, but God is good ... absolutely.

Lisa
Denver, CO

Anonymous said...

Steve,
Remember me? Al Palmer (just think real estate) I always knew you were a good man, so I'm going to stop right now and tell God just in case he needs one more reminder. My prayers will be for you and your family for healing and the strength to make each day.

I almost lost a son in a really bad auto accident in April. After 3 months of hospital and therapy he just now has gone back to limited work. Why tell you that? Because prayer and faith and belief that all is possible through God got us through it and again I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

We love you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Steve and Sheri,
Laurie was the one who informed me of your diagnosis.May God bless you through all of this. I am praying for you both and the rest of your family each day! Your faith will get you through.
Tori

Mary DeMuth said...

Sheri,

Can you possibly email me? Wes has asked me to do a story about Steve for a Lakepointe publication. My email addy is

maryedemuth at sbcglobal dot net. I understand you're heading to Houston. We may be able to get the story by phone too.

Thanks,
Mary DeMuth