Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mission Field?

Six or seven years ago, we went on our first mission trip together. It changed us forever. Steve's been to China, and together, we've been to Mexico and Cairo multiple times. Four years ago, we moved into a little-bitty house in anticipation that the Lord was going to put us on a foreign mission field. We didn't want to be tied to material things, so that when God said, "Go", we'd be ready. One of our favorite verses is Isaiah 6:8, "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" "

And we have prayed and prayed for Him to send us.

It dawned on us just a few days ago that cancer is now our mission field. There will be others that we can "comfort in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God" (II Corinthians 1:4). We certainly wouldn't have picked this one. If we're honest, I think we wanted something "glorious."

So, when the mission field is ugly and painful and full of question marks, do we still say, "Here we are. Send us!"? I'm sure there will be days when we scream "NO!!". But in our heart-of-hearts, we say, "Yes. You're the Potter." We don't like it, but we trust Him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Our Mission?" is a very powerful question. I know in your hearts that you have ALWAYS said, "Send Me". This is where you are today, in this very trying and difficult mission field, doing the work of Our Almighty God, yet in ways that none of us can imagine. My family and I continue to pray for "Healing" and for you to achieve the mission God has before you. The Pace Family

Anonymous said...

"Where then do You get that living water?" (John 4:11)

The well is deep, deeper than we know. Think of the depths of human nature and human life; think of the depths of the "wells" in youself...Suppose you have a deep "well" of hurt and trouble inside your heart, and Jesus comes and says to you, "Let not your heart be troubled." (John 14:1) Would your response be to shrug your shoulders and say, "But, Lord, the well is too deep, and even You can't draw up quietness and comfort out of it." Actually, that is correct. Jesus doesn't bring anything up from the wells of human nature, He brings them down from above. We limit the Holy One of Israel by remembering only what we have allowed Him to do for us in the past, and also by saying, "Of course, I cannot expect God to do this particular thing." The thing that approaches the very limits of His power is the very thing we as disciples of Jesus ought to believe He will do. We impoverish and weaken His ministry in us the moment we forget He is almighty...We will come to Jesus for Him to be our comforter or our sympathizer, but we refrain from approaching Him as our Almighty God...Christ is almighty...

We struggle to reach the bottom of our well, trying to get water out ourselves. Beware of sitting back, and saying, "It can't be done." You will know it can be done if you will look to Jesus. The well of your incompleteness runs deep, but make an effort to...look toward Him.
(from "My Utmost for His Highest")

He truly is the Almighty God!

Love you,
Virginia <><

Anonymous said...

Hi. You don't know me. I am friends with Scott and Stephanie Crissey, Michael and Cheryl Maldanis and Tara (Weber) Bellard. They mentioned you to me the other night and Steph referred me to your post today. I want you to know that the Lord HAS used your story in my life, as I have read through some of your posts. I went on a mission trip to Zambia this summer, and it too has changed me forever. I feel a drive and desire to live more simply, ready to be used by Him. I am encouraged by your bravery, your trust, your servants heart, your hearts of surrender. Know that you have glorified the Lord in this and I am proof of that. I will be praying for you. I do believe that our God is mighty enough to perform miracles of healing, but I will be praying for His overwhelming presence and comfort in this time, no matter what His will may be. Know that you have blessed me. Prayerfully, Addie Shepherd